Each year, the agave is harvested from a different farm/estate, then expertly distilled by Carlos Camarenaso each single estate bottling showcases its own distinct characteristics which truly highlights the terroir (or terruo in Spanish) of the Los Altos region of Jalisco. Tequila Ocho, $49+, LALO only makes one tequilaan additive-free blanco. Copyright 2023 Penske Business Media, LLC. When it comes to celebrity tequila brands (or just premium tequila, for that matter), rock and roll legend Sammy Hagar is the original. I searched the web and found this list and was shocked that 100% only equals 99% when it comes to tequila. Do you have any plans to verify if Don Julio is additive-free? LALO Tequila, $50, Speaking of Don Julio, no list of the best tequila brands would be complete without this iconic option! Then next sip I thought, wow, I cant believe how sweet this is 3rd sip and I was getting that aftertaste and I was like this stuff is too damn sweet, it tastes like artificial sweeteners, but thats impossible. FERMENTATION: Stainless steel tanks, 100% agave, Open-air fermentation, Fermentation without fibers. Additives are allowed if they account for under 1% of the total liquid. Cincoro Tequila produces five tequilas: blanco, reposado, aejo, extra aejo and the newest addition to their collectionCincoro Goldwhich blends the best of all four of their other varieties into one ultra-premium tequila. Thank you for all the info. After speaking with these brands and tasting all the tequilas mentioned, the list below are brands that passed my own personal test, and taste 100% additive free. This is tequila thats only aged for a few weeks, so it doesnt have time to develop the color and characteristics that come from a longer aging process. Jose Cuervo, Patrn, Don Julio, Casamigos and Hornitos are the top five tequilas, per The Spirits Business. It truly is a paragon of the subregion and doesn't get much better given its price point. Tequila Fortaleza, $47+, One of the top five selling tequilas in the world, Hornitos is a premium tequila brand crafted with 100% blue agave. Is Patron no longer additive free as of 10/2022? dried fruit, and vanilla. When aejo tequila is done right, its at once rich and flavorful, smooth yet complex. A new addition to the tequila category, this blanco burst onto the drinks scene in 2021, garnering rave reviews for maximal flavor at a minimal price. We can do both, cant we? And if its a Tommys-style margarita, even better, says Justin Lavenue, owner/operator and co-founder of The Roosevelt Room in Austin, Texas. Now the additive list is also fantastic tool to recognize the brands that have a commitment to offering a true quality product. 20 best tequila brands of 2023 for sipping or mixing margaritas 15 Bartender-Approved Tequilas To Bridge Winter And Spring In some parts of the world they are. Hornitos, $29+, Founded by Dwayne The Rock Johnson, Teremana Tequila crafts their tequilas in a small Mexican town up in the highest peaks of the Jalisco Highlands. Choose from blanco, aejo, reposado and more. This brand is one of the top-shelf tequilas that are pure with no additives included. Im really into making the greatest tequila in the world, says Hagar in a recent interview with Rolling Stone. To compensate for a light hue, it seems a large number of suppliers are placing caramel color into their aged reposado tequila or anejo tequila, although I know a good amount of quality brands, that although impossible to prove, appear not to use any additives, including colorings. TERA means of the Earth and MANA is our powerful Polynesian spirit that guides us. There is a variety of flavors to tequila, depending on the amount of sugar in it as well as how long it has been aged. They roast their agave in brick ovens for three days before shredding it to extract the juices for fermentation, and then they distill the tequila in handmade copper pot stills made by a local artisan. Spirit of the Earth, he says. (NOM 1579) [6 brands] Vivanco . Top 5 Tequilas For No Hangover. When mixed together, both vodka and tequila can be a good option with coke zero. No Additives. Thanks, We are founders of the Tequila Matchmaker app and website. Best Value: Pueblo Viejo Blanco. Brands made at their own distillery can be easier to believe, when they proclaim themselves additive-free, as only the owner/distiller controls what goes in the juice. This is an unpretentious, no-nonsense tequila with nothing added, just 100% blue Weber agave. El Jimador, $21+, This award-winning, additive-free, sustainable tequila brand is the only one to earn B Corp certification. El Jimador Tequila Silver Price: $16-$30. Instead, youll pick up a slightly drying, more astringent palette of black pepper, dried herbs, olives and citrus. An undertone of sweet cooked agave recalls this tequilas fresh Blanco roots. This is for Mixto junk as well as 100% agave. For example, if youre looking to make cocktails, then you should choose a blanco or reposadobut if youre looking to sip tequila on its own, then you should select an aejo or one of its variations, says Martinez. Its aged in a sequence of Islay Scotch, Spanish brandy and Spanish sherry oak barrels for five years before being blended by the brands master distiller. "Additives are designed to soften the rough edges of a tequila, to add a flavor that is not present in tequila when it is distilled.", explained David Alan, director of business education and mixology of PATRN to Vine Pair. With notes of fresh-cut grass and tropical fruit, you can always have it in a cocktail, but this is a fantastic tequila to pair with dinner, or a good cheese plate. It will typically taste sweeter and more refreshing, with a smooth, silky finish. Clase Azul, $137+, Casa Dragones is a small-batch tequila producer that crafts some of the smoothest tequilas on the market. We sat down with Mijenta Tequila's UK brand ambassador, Tasha Iny, to discuss future launches, and why producers should steer clear of adding flavours. On the nose, the Maestro Dobel 50 releases notes of fig and dried fruit, with hints of cinnamon and honey. Case-in-point is Santos debut tequila which isnt technically a tequila. The aging process will also change the color of a tequila. The usual list is G4, Terralta, Pasote, Fortaleza, Cascahuin, El Tesoro, Tapatio, Siete Leguas, Olmeca Altos, and a few others. A complete one stop tequila review app/web site. El EZ E, Im also a fan of the Kirkland Anejo. Think of this as the cognac of tequila best for sipping neat, or with an ice cube. The idea: to create an ultra premium, ultra-smooth tequila at an accessible price point. The tequila is made from 100 percent all-natural, fully matured Blue Weber agave artisanally produced without additives or diffusers. Of course you can taste the ones that use these natural additives- as they are too sweet, too candyish, too oily etc, and it's even easier to tell the ones that really 'go to town', and totally abuse this rule. Inspections are done on-site and can last from a few hours to a few days, depending on how many brands and products we are reviewing at the distillery. However, we need someone willing to be the curator of each spirit. Gran Coramino, $60+, Clase Azul wins for the packaging alone. 5 Best Tequilas For No Hangover Recommended by Experts (2023) Usually in this purest form of tequila, you can taste the care given to the elaboration process of any brand. This is the standard tequila youll see in cocktails due to its versatility, he adds. While some tequilas make us pucker, or burn the inside of our mouths and throats, Cenotes Blanco Tequila is light, mellow and refreshing. JAJA is a small batch Tequila that is best enjoyed with friends and family. (ICYMI, Hornitos means "little ovens" in Spanish!) El Cristiano Tequila, $48+, All of Dulce Vidas tequilas are handcrafted in small batches, made with 100% blue agave and aged in American oak whiskey barrels for a refreshing flavor and smooth finish. Don Julio 1942, $160, Back in 2019, basketball legend Michael Jordan launched Cincoro Tequila alongside a few other NBA ownersand in just three short years, the brand has sold a million and a half bottles and won more than 20 awards. Jose Cuervo, $26+, Related:35+ Best Canned Cocktails and Drinks, Looking for the best sipping tequila? The Aejo promises notes of vanilla, caramel, cacao, and butterscotch, while the agave takes a supporting role. 6. This is fantastic information and your website is an unbelievable resource, which I greatly appreciate. We want to hear it. It has greatly increased my enjoyment exploring tequila. This tequila is produced in the lowlands of the Jalisco region, so it wont exhibit the same sweetness or fruit-forward flavors as some of the other picks on our list. Can I assume that if the distillery is verified, that all of their products are free from additives? These are often referred to as a Mixto, where colors and flavors are added prior to bottling. Mijenta Tequila, $43+, Eterno Verano, which means "endless summer" in Spanish, was inspired by the 1966 movie The Endless Summer. Types of Tequila: Just like whiskey, there are different types of tequila, that run the spectrum in terms of flavor, color and potency. The 14 Best Tequilas to Drink in 2023 - Liquor.com A silky and savory tequila, Chamucos goes as well with Baja fish tacos as it does with a simple lime slice. Buy El Bandido Yankee Blanco Tequila $39.99. Reposado tequila is also aged but the aging process can be anywhere from two months to 11 months. Looking to Start Boxing After Watching 'Creed III'? I hope more distilleries become a part of this project! A typical tequila is composed of 60% Agave oil, with no flavor. Jose Cuervo . The flavors are complex and sophisticated while still being approachable and easy to drink. Best Non Alcoholic Tequila with Photos and Mocktails Tested This ensures the freshest agave flavorand you can tell. March 3, 2023 This is a terribly misleading and sneaky trick, but sadlya legal practice. Hi Luis. It's almost too easy to not do it, being legal to a certain extent, and too hard to ever get caught. The reposado, with an ABV of 40%, is aged for four months in ruby port wine casks that give it a signature pink color. Try it again and think diet Pepsi and tell me you cant taste the artificial sweeteners. Grover and Scarlet, Another best-selling brand, Don Julio launched in 1942 and was named after Don Julio Gonzlez, the brand's first Jimador. That's why we are proud to offer wines from Hermann J Wiemer, one of the most celebrated wineries in the Finger Lakes region of New York. We are legit worried that the sweeter, more vanilla, candy-like additive products will change the publics idea of what a natural tequila is. I find that the extended barrel aging pulls out any astringent qualities that may have been in the originally distilled juice, making this the easiest to sip on its own., The best type of tequila for sipping is the one in which you can taste the complexity given by the best agave source, along with a good elaboration process, providing the smoothness and sweetness you can obtain from the agave, says Martinez. 1. Sophie Decobecq of 'Calle 23' said we use no additives and as for caramel "this is why our color is not consistent, which is why my last anejo batch is much clearer, and I am fine with this." 10 Best Tequilas to Drink in 2023 - insider.com Hiatus has three award-winning expressions: Blanco, Reposado, and Aejo. As much as I love Tequila Matchmaker, I sadly have to use Distiller for my mezcal. With most quality brands, especially ones in which the distillery owns, you may not have to worry as much about this next practice. Founder Don Francisco changed the tequila process forever as he was the first person to cook agave in little ovens. Fortaleza Blanco, Reposado and Aejo are all fantastic sipping tequilas from the Los Valles region, says Lavenue. For a more complex flavor profile, those that have been aged at least one year like an aejo or extra eejo work perfectly.. You have to train yourself to make an educated decision. Each aging process will bring out different flavors in your tequila, and result in unique flavor profiles that often call to mind whiskey or scotch. Casa Dragones, $70+, Most tequilas are aged in American oak, but Casa Noble is different. DISTILLATION: 2x distilled. Founded by three best friends in Canada, Siempre combines a unique flavor profile (think notes of pepper, sea salt/brine, sweet berries and candied citrus) with a traditional tequila making process using 100% agave. BONUS: Use code RS20 to get $20 off your order at Drizly.com. Keep up the great work, I know I greatly enjoy the content. Let's learn about Brands & Agave Spirits on FB, Instagram, and YouTube. My adviceif it doesn't taste natural or has an abnormal aroma or taste, has overly strong and unbalanced flavors, or is too sweet or has a sweet aftertaste, or is too dark in color for short aging, try one of the more trusted brands below, to see the difference. This is most pronounced with the Rosa, which spends a month in un-charred Napa Valley Cabernet French white oak barrels, giving it a beautiful pink hue and notes of ripe fruit and cherry on the . Also be on the lookout for Santo's excellent Blanco and Reposado tequilas. Remember, as has been said before. No brands will EVER admit to using additives, so understand that YOUR taste buds are the real test, and believing these assurances.are up to you. Best Tequila Brands 2022: Casamigos, Patron, Teremana Blanco and Anejo Casa Noble, $45+, Theres a reason why this is the best-selling tequila in the world. Youve also probably seen flavored tequila, which is tequila infused with things like coconut, lime, strawberry or jalapeno. Hiatus uses a ground-to-glass method which combines traditional methods and modern technology, produced by master distiller, Luis Trejo Rodrguez at La Cofrada. Or is there a separate list for non-diffuser made tequilas? So keep in mind the above mentioned brands that 'claim' to be 100% additive free may be just that, and most are high quality and fine tasting brands that I enjoy myself. Tequila's popularity has skyrocketed in recent years, and the top bottles now command cultish prices formerly reserved for the rarest of Scotches and small-batch bourbons. At over $100, this is a true premium spirit, with a bottle and flavor profile worthy of its price. Roca Patrn Silver ($69) Emphatically agave-scented, this is made with the traditional tahona method, using a two-ton volcanic rock to crush the roasted pias. Theyre one of the most affordable tequila brands and offer silver, gold and aejo varieties to suit any taste. Espolon Blanco Tequila. Have you heard anything from their distillery? Elegant and complex, on the nose you'll find sweet spice, elegant oak and . In the 2012 NORMA, section 4.36.1 says that blanco tequilas should be sin abocante (without additives). When I drink tequila, I want to be drinking tequila and nothing else. Just mix 1.5 ounces of tequila, 1 ounce of Cointreau or Triple Sec, and a squeeze of fresh lime. It is a number that appears on every bottle of tequila that indicates which company or distillery is responsible for its production. Murillo also made a great point, saying he would lose his USDA Organic Certification, if he added any other ingredients, including color. Thanks to investment and refinement from some pioneering brands, long gone are the days when Tequila was known only for its harsh palate. It's up to you all to decide what to believe, and although brands can tell me things, it doesn't mean I believe them or that it makes my personal list of additive free brands. The 30 Best Tequilas for 2022 | VinePair The brand has been around since 1950. 30 Best Tequila Brands to Try Now (2023) - The Trend Spotter Find which tequilas are right for you. Store Bought Tequila Brands Ranked Worst To Best - TastingTable.com If you want to feel like a celebrity while sipping tequila, then this is definitely the brand for you. El Jimador Tequila Silver is the best Blanco tequila for making mixed drinks. Servidumbre De Paso a Las Agujas 4SO , Col. Las Agujas , Zaropan Jalisco CP 4S200 . Whats more, they were one of the first brands to use certified organic agave, and theyre committed to doing good for the environment. And legend has it, the first margarita ever made featured Jose Cuervo. However, it smells smoky like mezcal or charred wood, and there's a hint of that tequila agave scent. It has notes of vanilla, ripe fruit and butter and can be enjoyed neat, with salt and lime, chilled, or however else you like to drink your tequila. https://tastetequila.com/2017/the-lowdown-on-tequila-additives/. https://tastetequila.com/2017/the-lowdown-on-tequila-additives/, In that story, and right after that claim is an asterisk, which states (at the bottom): Casamigos is a favorite among the Hollywood crowd, thanks to its co-founder George Clooney, but its actually got a lot of substance to go with its style. Keep in mind that technically, if you exceed the 1% total volume rule, it must be labeled as a 'licor' or a 'crema', like these (ABOVE), and that's the way it should be. I wish something like this was posted in stores. Siempre's blanco (plata) tequila was launched in 2015, and the reposado and aejo expressions arrived last year. How to Avoid Those GMO Booze Blues - FoodPrint The 10 Best Blanco Tequilas Money Can Buy This list will be updated each time a brand is added (or removed) from the program. Great to see many of my favorites have made the list! There are plenty of other websites, YouTube channels, Instagram and TikTok accounts that happily promote additive-filled tequila. Its a very special blend elaborated with agave that is grown on our property and was aged in a combination of our best hand-selected American oak and new French oak barrels. Nobu AND QUI Tequila Launch Nobu Rare 2008 Reserve This year's offering of . They can also use glycerin to make the mouthfeel 'rounder', slicker, thicker, oilier, sweeter and different altogether. Look for bottles labeled 100%, which denotes that it was made with 100% natural sugars from the agave plant. 2) Both Pasote and El Tesoro de Don Felipe are additive free in their entire lineup. Clase Azuls tequila comes in this instantly recognizable (and supremely collectible) bottle, which you see on the top shelf of high-end bars and restaurants. Maybe Distiller could help for you? So who knows what a distillery may do to 'enhance' a contract brands juice, for their own convenience. Please check on CABAL tequila- spoke with them personally at an event and they claimed to be additive free! $149.99. The 200 Greatest Singers of All Time It's also free of common allergens. . Using a few drops of caramel coloring is one thing, but this additive problem seems to go much further, using these additives to cover up mistakes, a low quality product, or mask deficiencies in the final product. (NOM 1579) -6 marks. Smooth and delicate, Cdigo 1530s Rosa Tequila makes for perfect after-work sipping, or used in a hand-crafted cocktail. Thank you for creating it. Pick Up Some of These Gloves First Bell Flavors & Fragrances (above) and Symrise Flavorings are just two companies supplying these additives. If youre hosting a party or large gathering, youll want to stock up on bottles of Espoln. I texted, emailed, filled out forms in some cases, and attempted to call to get a statement. Handcrafted using the richest Agave from the Highlands of Jalisco, JAJA Reposado's tasting notes consist of sweet maple, cooked agave, and toasted wood. The ones that have indicated to me that they 'only' use some caramel coloring (even with no flavoring) to avoid differences in color, will not be mentioned below, as that doesn't cut it here. Youll also want to consider what the tequila is being used for. Its a liquor made using 100% Weber Blue agave and a distillation process that combines techniques from both tequila and mezcal-making processes most importantly, smoking and steaming the agave. Region: Jalisco | ABV: 40% | Tasting Notes: White pepper, citrus zest, vanilla, herbs. As a matter of fact, he doesn't care if his aged tequilas look light or don't match each other in batches, and I love that. 1- either stick with a producer who makes aged tequilas to YOUR liking, regardless if it's heavy caramel, vanilla, overly smooth and overly sweet, very dark and rich, oily and very oaky without caring if they are obviously manipulated or not. It makes sensewith its sweet, smooth taste, tequila is incredibly versatile and can be enjoyed in margaritas and other yummy cocktails as well as sipped straight or over ice. An incredible effort here! Vivanco (NOM 1414) -7 brands. Casamigos, $55+, The recipe for Tequila Cazadores was first developed way back in 1922 by a hardworking farmer in Arandas, Mexico. What additives can you taste? A Non-Alcoholic Tequila Has Entered The Market - Forbes
How To Find The Degree Of A Polynomial Graph, Articles B