This system closes in fuel vapors and prevents the vapor from escaping into the environment. When tire pressure is low, there is more rolling resistance to contend with. The fuel filter screens out contaminants in the fuel, and over time it will become clogged. And leave WAX and ASH s dept its cause it is REFINED from WAX and TAR! Rxmechanic.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for website owners to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. God that sucks. Any suggestions, or am I just doing something wrong? Show example Ford Escape Car is getting worse gas mileage Inspection prices Poor gas mileage, especially a sudden drop in fuel efficiency, can be blamed on a number of issues. Our 2008 Escape Hybrid suddenly had a huge drop in it's fuel economy, and the engine is rev'g rather high. I have a 2014 S with the 2.5L engine in it and I generally get 22-24 in suburban driving when I don't take any long freeway drives. That's likely why you are taking such a big hit. There are several steps you can take to improve your Ford Escapes gas mileage if it is currently suffering from poor fuel economy. Thought maybe that could be it, but I dont drive hectic or anything by any means. Instead, have the car realigned at the first sign of trouble. Bad gas mileage can be caused by a number of different things. Worst Issues. A few months later the Escape was recalled again because antifreeze could leak out onto the engine due to a freeze plug becoming dislodged. So far, I have driven 540ish miles on the car. The ignition system is vital to the combustion of the engine and the spark plugs play a huge role. It will go from 28ish to 20ish MPG. Ford Escape V6-3.0L - Window Motor / Regulator Assembly Replacement (Driver Side Rear) - Peoria, Arizona. If the decline in efficiency is accompanied by the vehicle pulling to one side, the brake system should be inspected immediately. ; Install a set of IRIDIUM LASER earplugs from DENSO! Factors such as mileage, type of service performed, and how often the car is driven, The 2016 Jeep Patriot is a mid-size SUV that is equipped with anti-lock brakes (ABS) and traction control features designed to improve handling and stability on various surfaces. I often take an interstate trip from Athens GA to Charleston SC. Why is my Ford Escape getting bad gas mileage? Abs 4WD Traction Control Lights On is a common warning light that appears on vehicles with a four-wheel drive (4WD) system. RELATED: 5 Symptoms of a Bad Wheel Alignment. Additionally, regular maintenance will help improve your vehicles performance by keeping all components properly lubricated and functioning correctly. Never gets anywhere near the on road mileage. gas mileage in the Escape is awful, especially if it has the ecoboost. I drive it 80 or so when on Interstate and limit more or less allows. 2017 Ford Escape poor gas mileage. Is Diesel Efficiency the Same as Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel? A bad canister can cause poor engine performance affecting the vehicles acceleration. Just a more efficient car overall, even with it being much older. I Bought This In May 2013. Cruise control can be used when appropriate for long drives on open highways; this will help keep your speed consistent which helps improve gas mileage overall. Duane is great! My driving is both city and hwy and I am careful not to drive with exaggerated acceleration, or braking. Dealer tried to repair, made it awful to drive, carried back to dealer. A: The benefits of improving gas mileage in a Ford Escape include reduced carbon emissions, increased fuel economy and lower maintenance costs. A prevalent symptom of a damaged EVAP canister is when your vehicle has a rough idle. I was a Ford tech for 35 years, I know what's going on. This is unacceptable. I left two days, they said repaired, ask what was done, o; it fixed itself. If this is just a bitch complain screen , where nothing gets said or done, i cant waste my time,,, if this is going to fords and the dealerships, and something can get done, i well say,,,,,i purchased in Jan 2017 ford escape 2013, its terrible on gas. DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME: Not sure what they did, but they came back with 20 something reading, and it is still less than what EPA guidelines mentioned. I put them in a DODGE HEME truck and mileage went from 14 on highway to 19.5 with a CLEAN T bound and IAC valve! I guess Im just so used to it not being affected as much in my Fusion, that I didnt think it would be bad in the Escape. Fuel that hasnt burned cant be used to move the vehicle, so it goes wasted. Should bump up a mpg or two. Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the. Please if anyone out there is getting a Class Action against Ford please please include me. This shaking occurs when u get over 40mph. However, you may visit "Cookie Settings" to provide a controlled consent. Your engine check light will come ON when you have a damaged EVAP canister. The most common cause is simply that your Ford F-150 needs a tune-up. Taylor ford does not even want to talk about four wheel drive or any other problems with gas mileage. It can also be caused by a dirty air filter or low tire pressure. But if the faults accumulate, it can cause your engine to shut down eventually. a far cry from the 23 MPG I have changed the plugs, used injector/valve cleaner and no improvement. Jeep Clutch Recall Involves Gladiator and Wrangler SUVs, antifreeze could leak out onto the engine, read stories from drivers who praise our work. One possible reason your ford escape is getting bad gas mileage is because you could have a clogged fuel filter. Rough idling can be due to faulty spark plugs, carburetor problems, dirty fuel injectors, and a vacuum leak. What P0640 means there is an abnormal input voltage within the intake air heaters control circuit often due too a faulty air heater relay or dirty filter. The firing occurs closer to top dead center (TDC). On top of that, the additives used in gasoline are different in the summer than they are in the winter. Like (8) Bob Muske March 12, 2022 BAD fuel filer; d***y IDLE AIR CONTROL VALVE and THROTTLE BODY! I bought the Ford Escape because of all the hype about the gas mileage, Well it's a bunch of Bull. If this issue is not addressed it will lead to a rough, idle, sputtering and stalling. Advertisement cookies are used to provide visitors with relevant ads and marketing campaigns. The oxygen sensors help keep the proper mixture of air and fuel, and having this imbalance can be inefficient. Check the tire pressures often and ensure they match the factory recommendations. I have tried multiple driving styles in an attempt to reach the rated fuel mileage, ( from old granny style, to more aggressive accelerate to speed and cruise), currently I just try to keep the rpms below 3000 while city driving. E.g. If your vehicle has an EVAP leak due to some faulty parts, it is better to have those parts replaced. Amaze Yourself: Discover the Best Jeep Wrangler TJ LED Headlights! 115. computer (PCM) failure in the 2005 Escape. Combined MPG on Gas Only: 40. In order to diagnose poor gas mileage in a Ford Escape, its important to first visually inspect all components for wear or damage. Ford Escape L4-2.3L - Valve Cover Gasket - San Jose, California. i have spend $70 in 3 days,, just local driving through town,, no out of town driving. BIG DIFFERENCE! Technically, it is quite safe if you are deliberating driving with a bad evap canister. Taking care of these issues should help to improve the vehicle's fuel efficiency. I started complaining to the dealership immideately, they ran diagnostics and told me the vehicle was fine and running exactly as it should be. This includes checking the tires for proper inflation as well as inspecting hoses, belts and other parts for signs of wear or damage. When the fuel doesnt atomize correctly and mix with the right amount of air, combustion doesnt occur as it should. I do not know what to do but I will not give up as this is awful. Is it OK for a 13 year old to shave their legs? Ford A vacuum leak can occur as a result of a damaged or faulty EVAP canister or the hoses fixed to it. In fact, you are probably spending more money by running the dirty air filter than it would cost to change it. Horrible gas mileage on 2012 Ford Escape We got our teen son a 2012 Ford Escape v6 last month so he would have something more reliable to drive in the CO snow. Dirty Oxygen Sensor: An oxygen sensor measures exactly how rich or lean the exhaust gases are when they leave the combustion chamber. of activated charcoal used to store and contain fuel vapors until your purge valves open up and allow the engine intakes vacuum to absorb some fuel vapors from the charcoal into the intake manifold of your engine. Its rated for 18mph city but he's only getting about 12-13mpg even trying to baby it. Does anyone out there know how to improve gas mileage? To Increase your gas mileageswitch out your OEM plugs for NGK Iridium's, and increase your octane level in the fuel you use!, and you will get a 10-15% increase in your mileage. Q: What Common Problems Impact Fuel Efficiency in Ford Escapes? For older cars especially, it's important that fuel filters get changed approximately every two years or every 30,000 miles. I noted it to the dealer after 3000 miles and they said it should improve around 5000 miles. There are different engine layouts and designs but most of them work in the same basic way. Yooooooooooooo omg finally after spending ridiculous amounts for nothing, if your gas mileage dropped a lot ,disconnect the battery + and connect again and your gas mileage should be great now. I have a 2006 Ford Escape V6 3.0 with 82,000 miles on it. Advertised MPG rating is 21 city, 29 highway, and 24 combined. Osuagwu Solomon is a certified mechanic with over a decade of experience in the mechanic garage, and he has over five years of experience in the writing industry. It tells me my driving is good!But still have bad fuel economy! Just regular. The car interior and exterior is simply beautiful. No matter how easy I drive in or under any conditions, the car doesn't get better than 20 MPG. The cookie is used to store the user consent for the cookies in the category "Performance". Amongst these systems is an EVAP (Evaporative Emission Control) system. I bought this 2013 Ford Escape SEL mostly due to style and gas mileage expectations. This can lead to a drop in fuel efficiency as well as slow acceleration and the car not having enough power. Additionally, having a professional diagnose any issues found can help ensure that all necessary repairs are completed correctly and efficiently. Seems like its not getting what it should be. They offered the excuse that I had to break the engine in. Instead, it will go back to your gas tank, making it difficult to refuel your tank. Create an account to follow your favorite communities and start taking part in conversations. If you are thinking of how to bypass evap canister or other components in your system to evade the cost, it will expose your vehicle to more troubles, especially when it is not done correctly. I have a ford escape that is only getting 13 MPG aroung town and 16-17 mpg on the highway. Will never buy another ford unless they are willing to make up for all the extra I have had to spend on gasoline for this problem car. Jiffy Lube Vs. Valvoline Oil Change: Differences & Which Is Better. We all want to achieve the best fuel economy we can with our vehicles. It tells me my driving is good! I got as low as 17 miles per gal not the 23 miles per gal. In addition, any brake issue can make the vehicle dangerous to drive. Who controlled the House of Representatives in 1982? My 17 Year Old 4runner Got The Same Mpg When I Sold It. Sorry for silly question, just genuinely dont know much about cars. An unbalanced air-fuel ratio during combustion can lead to improper combustion due to a high amount of air in the engine. Improved fuel economy also means lower maintenance costs since fewer trips will need to be made to fill up with gasoline more frequently so youll save money there too! Your sweet spot of mpg is 55mph.. driving 80 is well beyond most any cars efficiency. About a month ago my distance to empty when filling up has been getting lower and lower. I have had two Escapes recently a 2014 and a 2017. Put seafoam in tank If the sensor is dirty or failing it can lead to a drop in miles per gallon. Use cruise control any and every time you can. Have been keeping track of how much gas this bugger is using, and it seems pretty off. However, even if you are running the tires just slightly low, where the sensors dont notice, you could be wasting fuel. This issue has affected every Ford Escape model since the vehicle's initial release. By accepting all cookies, you agree to our use of cookies to deliver and maintain our services and site, improve the quality of Reddit, personalize Reddit content and advertising, and measure the effectiveness of advertising. The cookie is used to store the user consent for the cookies in the category "Analytics". Why does that help? When you have a lousy EVAP canister, it will generate issues with your Evaporative Emission Control System, negatively affecting your vehicles emission output. To help you save at the pump, its important to understand the main causes of poor gas mileage. The most common cause of poor gas mileage is a faulty engine sensor like the O2 sensor, MAF sensor, or MAP sensor. He started writing automotive articles to share his garage experience with car enthusiasts and armature mechanics. owners like you. Best I thus far got is 19. i said no,,, i have been driving it in the D gear. But the gas mileage is awful. Fuel Saving Tip #4: Change Your Spark Plugs Q: What Can I Do to Improve Gas Mileage in My Ford Escape? I will check out the cruise control. Unsubscribe any time. NO FORUM HOMEPAGES. My Titanium has a 2.0T with a 6 speed auto. But you might be wondering, will my car run bad without a vapor canister? The reason being that the four wheel drive is on much of the time. 2021 Ford Escape FWD PHEV 4 cyl, 2.5 L, Automatic (variable gear ratios) Elec+Gas. You also want to ensure you use the right fuel type with the right octane rating for your car. However, when you notice an issue with your EVAP system, you need to get the problem fixed as soon as possible. If you continue to use this site, you consent to this use of cookies. are trademarks of Autobeef LLC, All rights reserved. Our certified mobile mechanics can come to you now. I thought a 4 cylinder would be better on gas. When the temperatures drop, your vehicle needs more time to reach its normal operating temperature. I love the car, but not getting anywhere close. Surprising Find: The Best Black Wheels for Ford F150 That Youve Never Seen Before! 3 Why does my car waste more gas than usual? Reg. Poor gas mileage in city driving. That is a bummer. The best model years for the Ford Escape are 2010, 2011, 2012, 2015, 2019, and 2020, with the 2010 model year being the best due to its exceptional performance, unique technological features, and fuel economy. while each vehicle reaches its optimal gas mileage at a different speed, efficiency usually decreases rapidly above 50 mph, according to fueleconomy.gov, the u.s. government source for information on energy efficiency. If you are experiencing poor gas mileage with your Ford Escape there are several troubleshooting tips that may be able to help improve your overall fuel efficiency: first check the tire pressure; replace worn out spark plugs/ignition coils; replace clogged or dirty air filters; clean and replace fuel injectors; replace faulty oxygen sensors; have regular tune-ups performed; check engine belts; clean any debris from the engine bay; inspect hoses for cracks or leaks; and have any other necessary repairs completed as soon as possible. It delivers that information to the vehicle's computer, which crunches the numbers and then delivers the proper amount of fuel to the air in the vehicle. I also only use 91 oct without ethanol but most people dont want to pay for it.make sure your tires are at the correct tire pressure specd in the door jam of the driver door. are trademarks of Autobeef LLC, All rights reserved. The MPG sucks. I used about 3/4 of the tank and so I filled it up with the Iowa ethanol blend they sell up there in Des Moines. Try driving in S mode (I saw better mpg in it). Still shit. We research hundreds of models each With the 2.0L 4 cylinder EcoBoost engine, you can get 21 miles per gallon in the city and 29 on the highway. Over time the fuel injector system can become clogged. Hey there. Your vehicles Powertrain Control Module starts the burning process by opening up your purge valve. The Use your cruise - set it to 55 or 60 mph on your way home - reset your fuel economy - see what you might get straight highway home. You also want to ensure you use the right fuel type with the right octane rating for your car. Within a month I was getting more then 30% worse mileage approx 12.3L/100km combined hwy and city driving on a daily basis. Q: What Should I Do if My Ford Escape is Experiencing Poor Gas Mileage? Imagine what would have happened if I had a pure tank of that stuff. When this occurs, the spark plugs fire later during the compression stroke than normal. 85. Vehicle History's team of automotive experts brings you the most accurate and up-to-date used car information. If they misfire, or are working poorly, this can affect your gas mileage in a negative way. Asked by escapeman Sep 25, 2010 at 11:57 AM about the 2004 Ford Escape XLT AWD. Its duty is to convert toxic gasses produced by the engine into A brake cleaner is a powerful solvent for cleaning dirt from the brakes and other car components. Sometimes you just cant help it though lol. This auto does not even get the in town mileage when I am on the road. I dont make lots of money, and when half my check goes to gas, there is a problem. Most of the indicators that the oil needs to be changed (https://www.yourmechanic.com/article/when-should-i-change-my-oil) are not visible to the naked eye. Ive got the automatic 2.5L 2018 Escape S. Just the basic model. Ive tried resetting my fuel economy as well, and driving that same drive. To maintain this extra energy, the vehicle is going to use more fuel. A bad EVAP canister will make your vehicle release a high amount of gas fumes, causing environmental pollution, and also keep your dash engine check light ON. The higher the octane rating is, the more resistance your vehicle receives. Link must be about this specific problem or it will be deleted it must be free & helpful, like a video or web page or forum thread about this exact problem. Run on your real time feedback for MPG and drive 65, then turn it on and drive 80. This will lead to a decline in gas mileage. Misaligned Tires: Tires that are low or out of alignment can lead to a drop in fuel efficiency. a far cry from the 23 MPG I have changed the plugs, used injector/valve cleaner and no improvement. To maintain the right air-fuel ratio, the car needs more fuel to deal with the denser cold air. If not, it has to be replaced. This guide will provide an overview of how to adjust the parking brake, including the necessary tools and steps to take. California consumers may exercise their CCPA rights here. The 2021 Ford Escape Hybrid is the most fuel-efficient Ford vehicle with the ability to return up to 37 highway mpg.What Is the Most Fuel-Efficient Ford? Additionally, obeying the speed limit will help improve gas mileage as well as overall safety on the road. Poor gas mileage can be caused by a variety of factors, from worn out parts to faulty fuel injectors. CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2013 Ford Escape has been in the news quite a bit and for all the wrong reasons. A new fuel pump can cost between $130 and $473. I have heard that Ford has 3 other 2013 models where they were giving money back for misrepresenting the mileage (ex. Keep your air filter clean. Fuel is mixed with air, atomized and vaporized in the engine intake system. I have the vehicle that noted the BEST mileage. The fuel pump pulls fuel from the gas tank to the fuel injectors. city/highway. If you check the recommended service intervals for your vehicle, you will see engine air filter replacement listed. Diesel fuel, Popping noise when pressing the gas pedal is a common problem experienced by many car owners. This website uses cookies to improve your experience while you navigate through the website. Have the system pressure tested and leak detected to see if the water pump (https://www.yourmechanic.com/services/water-pump-replacement) is Hello. Next, save your ac for highway driving. When we were on the highway we got it up to 16 - geez. Here is h where the FINAL AIR/FUEL mixture is djusted by signals from the O2 sensor: OIL CHOICES! You can find this information on the sticker located on the drivers door jamb. Following these tips can help you get back on track with improved gas mileage again! RELATED: 5 Symptoms of a Bad Oxygen Sensor. it will never see the key half the time! motor but the motor runs My 2016 Ford Escape turns off as soon as i Additionally, monitoring your driving habits and maintaining a steady speed on the highway will help improve gas mileage; avoid sudden accelerations or hard braking whenever possible. If your vehicles computer system detects a fault within your EVAP system, it will illuminate the engine check light to tell the driver that there is an issue with the engine system. I actually took my Escape on a road trip from Kansas City to north eastern Iowa and back and got 32 mpg for the trip up there. After your vehicle hits a pothole, you might notice that it takes more effort to keep it moving forward. However, other causes require a minor repair to fix, which will not cost so much. After reviewing all of the possible causes for why my Ford Escape is getting bad gas mileage, it appears that the most likely culprits are a lack of regular maintenance, a dirty air filter, or a worn-out spark plug. If the fuel injector is clogged or defective, it could spray fuel but not in the appropriate pattern. Most of that is between 55-65mph. A bad fuel pump can lead to a rough running engine because it is not getting enough fuel. Instead, in a somewhat unprecedented move, Ford sent tow trucks to pick up the affected vehicles and handed out rental cars while the owners waited for repairs. California consumers may exercise their CCPA rights here. Good oil! A: Common problems that impact fuel efficiency in Ford Escapes include clogged air filters, faulty oxygen sensors, worn or damaged spark plugs/ignition coils, low or incorrect tire pressure, faulty mass airflow sensors and faulty throttle position sensors. No change! This can get your vapor canister saturated or clogged. Went to dealership to check. also, i'm burning through the gas it seems. Additionally, you may want to consider switching to a more fuel-efficient tire size or type if you are looking for more long-term solutions. Idling sounds are the best indicator for faulty spark plugs. I do love the car and the way it drives but I hate stopping at the gas station every time I turn around. "CarComplaints.com" , "Autobeef", "What's Wrong With YOUR Car?" How far can a Ford Escape go on a tank of gas? Ive gone through 2 full tanks (15.7 gallon tank) just on that 540 miles. Very friendly. The car runs Excellent but gets bad gas miles! There is no difference between these three canisters, and you can interchange the names. This is to know if the valve isnt leaking and closes correctly. In years, this can vary. Other uncategorized cookies are those that are being analyzed and have not been classified into a category as yet. Drive mostly highway averaging between 80-55 mph. The fuel pump can become clogged or malfunction. Change the air filters, replace spark plugs and perform all other maintenance thats advised. This process is termed purging, which needs to be assisted by the purge valve. Q: What are the Benefits of Improving Gas Mileage in a Ford Escape? What does it mean when you wear a bandana in your back pocket? I have change spark plugs! While you dont have to operate your vehicle like your grandmother, you could take it a little easier to save some money. You should also regularly schedule maintenance checks. This is relatively low mileage for an expensive transmission failure ($4,500 average to fix), but unless the trend becomes more established, we are only awarding the 2014 Escape our "Beware of the Clunker" badge for now. A: To improve gas mileage in your Ford Escape, you should check the tire pressure, regularly schedule vehicle maintenance, monitor your driving habits and speed limits, avoid excessive idling, use cruise control when appropriate, and check the air filter regularly. I drove a 2010 Ford Fusion before, getting an average of 24 MPG. The biggest, and I mean by far the biggest hit to fuel economy is driving too fast on the expressway. Last week, I only got 19.7 with average speeds of 50MPG. The most fuel-efficient Escape is the front-wheel drive model with the 1.6-liter EcoBoost engine, rated at 26 mpg combined. Well I don't get anything near that. For more information on how we collect and use this information, please review our Privacy Policy. Made with in Silicon Valley. Would highly recommend! The check engine light is not on, but when I ran a scanner, I got Ask an Expert Car Questions Ford Repair Chris (aka- Moose), Ford Technician 79,045 24 years of experience diagnosing & repairing Related Ford Questions 2011 Ford f150, 3.7 engine, check engine light has two There is a product called CATA-CLEAN! Coquitlam, Britsh Columbia, canada. Good oil! In this case, this happens because the fuel vapors your vehicle usually uses during combustion gets burned up to the environment before getting to the combustion chamber. Within a few months of its release the SUV was recalled three times, twice. As it progresses, the injectors may have to be replaced. We use cookies on our website to give you the most relevant experience by remembering your preferences and repeat visits. To fix this, all you need to do is change back to premium fuel. - Kia: I was getting about 260 miles out of tank of 12.7 gallons - Ford: I am getting about 235 miles out of tank of 15.1 gallons Same kind of commute (80% city). It also signifies that there is a high consumption or leakage of gas in your vehicles system. The car now has 2,687 miles on it and gets just under 15 mi per gallon. Analytical cookies are used to understand how visitors interact with the website. Ostensibly, this means that Ford will repair or replace faulty engines or transmissions within 5 years or 60,000 miles. Flat rate pricing based on labor time and parts, Trusted mechanics, rated by thousands of happy car owners, Hand-picked, community-rated professionals, Over 25,000 topics, from beginner tips to technical guides, Check cars for recalls, common issues & maintenance costs, Optimize fleet uptime and compliance via mobile vehicle repairs, Partner with us to simplify and scale fleet maintenance, Ford Escape V6-3.0L - Hood Latch - Vista, California. Gas Mileage Tips; Driving More Efficiently; Keeping Your Car in Shape; . Many times, the car will continue to run normally or with some minor performance issues, even with a bad sensor, but you dont want to ignore the fault. Have been keeping track of how much gas this bugger is using, and it seems pretty off. Advertised MPG rating is 21 city, 29 highway, and 24 combined. Front vehicle photos 1986-2018 Autodata, Inc. dba Chrome Data. It has been over a year of driving now (20,000 km) and this vehicle still far exceeds the EPA fuel ratings, currently 11.6L/100km driving. Jeep Clutch Recall Involves Gladiator and Wrangler SUVs, read stories from drivers who praise our work. Regular maintenance is essential for keeping your Ford Escape running smoothly and efficiently. We don't sell/share your email. If you cant remember when it was changed last, its time to fix that. Average fuel consumption is 13.33 litres per 100 kilometers, not what Ford indicates should be.The vehicle has consumed 312.59 litres of gasoline to go 2345 kilometers,. Content will be removed if CarGurus becomes aware that it violates our policies. We don't sell/share your email. No Electrical Power in Your Chevy S10? One possible reason your ford escape is getting bad gas mileage is because you could have a clogged fuel filter. If you have a for-profit service, contact us. Ignoring regular maintenance can also contribute to less than optimal fuel economy. The complaints are organized into groups with data published by vehicle, vehicle component, and specific problem. Once again robert was ontime and performed the repair to the highest standard.